At the Annual General Meeting, we indicated that agreeing a long term lease with Network Rail may still take some time to complete, and this has made us rethink our plans about the restoration of our two car Class 108 Diesel multiple unit.
Our original plan had been to start with welding work on the trailer car, but we have now decided to firstly restore the Power car (Driving Motor Brake Second) to an operational condition.
There are several other factors which have influenced this decision:
- We cannot bring our diesel multiple unit to our line until we have a lease in place,
- A restored but unused diesel multiple unit, would incur storage charges elsewhere.
- However, a fully restored power car, could be hired out to another heritage line* whilst we wait to gain access to the line. This would generate an additional income which could then be used to help fund the restoration of the trailer car.
We have already received one enquiry from another heritage line, about hiring our power car for the 2017 season, and discussions about a potential hire agreement are now underway. In addition, we are in discussions with the people at the Midland Railway Centre about putting the power car through their workshops, to complete the work in time.
Sponsor Part of the Restoration
We currently have enough funds available to make a start on this work, but still need to raise further funds.
Below is a list of the costings for the restoration of the Class 108 Power Car (supplied by Midland Railway Centre).
- We are inviting donors to use their donation to sponsor specific items on the list.
- Alternatively, donations can instead still be made into the Rolling Stock Fund and we will decide which item the money is used to pay for.
|Power Car – Class 108 DMBS (M51937)||Cost (including VAT)||Suggested sponsor amounts||Amount raised so far||Notes|
|Oil Filters, etc. for service
(For two engines)
|£120||4 X £25 amounts and 1 X £20|
|Oil for engines||£150||6 X £25 amounts|
|Replacement batteries||£675||27 X £25 amounts|
|Replacement cab gear and throttle controllers (£300 per item – two in each cab||£600||24 X £25 amounts||£100|
|Second hand corridor connection for rear of power car||£425||17 X £25 amounts|
|New step-boards (8 on this vehicle – £18 each)||£144||8 X £18 amounts||£117||£27 left to raise for step -boards|
|Repaint the vehicle||£1800||72 X £25 amounts|
|Total for vehicle||£3914||£217|
We are keen to allow individuals to sponsor items which fit in their personal budget.
The “suggested sponsor amounts” are just suggestions, and some people may be able donate an amount which covers multiples of the “suggested sponsor amounts”.
Alternatively, and we realise that some people may only wish to donate a lower amount. We welcome all donations, whatever the amount, to help us achieve these targets.
Other Restoration Costs
The Society has agreed to take on the external cleaning of the diesel multiple unit along with much of the interior work. Some expenditure will be required for cleaning materials, paint, wood, electrics etc. and we will use some of the funds already raised to meet these costs.
We will provide similar sponsor details for the Trailer car in the near future.
How to make a donation to the Rolling Stock / Loco Fund
Please use one of the following methods to make a donation:
- By completing the Rolling Stock Fund (Donation Form) available through this website and enclose a cheque or cash.
- By PayPal or Credit Card using the Donate link below the right-hand menu,
- Or donations can be made electronically direct to the Society’s bank account.
Account Name: Poulton & Wyre Railway Society
Account Number: 89012757
Sort Code: 09-01-28
On behalf of the Rolling Stock Fund