The Line

The Poulton & Wyre Railway line is located on a branch to Fleetwood from Poulton-le-Fylde at 14 1/2 miles from Preston.

Presently, the line runs to just short of 18 miles from Preston, with the trackbed still in place for about another mile where the A585 begins.

There are two stations currently on the line after the junction at Poulton these are:

Thornton Station
Thornton for Cleveleys

Thornton Station (Also known as Thornton for Cleveleys, Thornton-Cleveleys and rather anciently Ramper Road) is located in the heart of Thornton town centre. The current Station was reportedly the first built by the recently formed London Midland Scottish Railway in 1927. Until the late 80’s there was a signal box which operated the crossing over Station Road

Burn Naze Station
Burn Naze

Burn Naze Station (Also known as Burn Naze Halt at various points) was constructed to serve the ICI works in the North of Thornton. The station, as it currently appears, was built in the late 1920’s. Prior to this the station had a level crossing at the Fleetwood end. The bridge at the Poulton end replaced the crossing after a fatal collision.